Hi everyone! Obviously I’ve been pretty absent lately — I’ve been trying to read and comment on others’ blogs as I have time, but mostly I just haven’t had the energy, let alone to post myself. Nothing bad is going on. It’s just been a very busy season at work, plus I’ve ramped up a couple of volunteer activities (yesterday, which might have been a prime time to write a post, I was at one of those from 8:00 am until 3:00 pm) and the end result is that I’ve been busy plus, when I get home, exhausted. I’ve rarely had energy to do much other than fall into bed with a book.
However, I miss blogging, so I’m going to make a concerted effort to get back into the swing of things a little bit more this month. I have a food post planned for Wednesday (hint: black bean soup with garlic and tomatoes), and I have a few other ideas for posts too. First, however, the depressing September net worth update. To the numbers!
I know this looks like a really high-spending month, but part of that is due to having borrowed ahead during August — specifically, $200 of that cash was cash I took out and used for August groceries. After writing that post a couple of weeks ago I decided to quit doing this — just accept reality, move a bit of cash from the down payment fund to checking, and zero everything out to start October.
- Slush: a couple of dinners out for friends’ birthdays, an order of beans from Rancho Gordo (don’t ask), a concert ticket, a subscription to The New Yorker, and two shopping trips to Meijer for small household items, including a desperately needed new pillow and some more canning jars.
2. Personal/medical: drugstore.com and sephora.com orders, mostly for eyedrops and face cream.
3. Travel: …hmm, the spreadsheet’s inaccurate; I actually spent $511, on one round-trip train ticket (to be used in October) and one round-trip plane ticket (to be used in November.) Two of my closest friends had babies recently, so I’m off to see them both this fall.
4. Repairs/maintenance: a can of waterproofing spray so I can treat my winter boots
5. Clothing: Actually spent in August, “borrowed ahead” into September’s budget.
Ugh. My retirement accounts look better already after the first few days of October, but the end of September was ugly and these are the numbers from the evening of September 30. A combination of a not-great run of spending plus the continued weak markets make the net worth numbers look not so great. However, at least I did see an increase, if a small one, of $391, for a total net worth of $27505.19. Here’s to a better October!
End of Q3 Checkin (You can see my 2015 Money Goals here)
- Emergency Fund: Goal complete!
- Retirement Savings: On track in terms of contributions, although due to market stuff the numbers in the accounts don’t look quite as nice.
- Other Savings: I revamped this goal and my new goal is to have $5000 in non-emergency fund savings by the end of the year. Currently I have $2751, and should make this goal easily by the end of December.
- Net Worth goal: $18,000 increase (from $14020 to $32020). To make this goal, I need to increase my net worth by $4515 over the next three months, or $1504/month. That ought to be doable…and yet there are various pitfalls in the way. I’m going to call it on track for now, but I’m more concerned about making this goal than I have been at any other time this year!